Monday, December 10, 2007

That sign is for you!

It was really a tough battle to win the Monday blues but I have been mentally practicing with load of confidence, it wouldn’t be to any avail. I don’t want a horrible morning, I pray. To my rescue came a signboard which gave my sleepy mind something to ponder. The location was Novena square bus-stop. It was a signboard which read, “Flag early”. In the shape of a hand, attached to the lamp post at the bus-stop, it was made to appear like its flagging at the approaching buses.

I felt that it was educating the public, making Singaporeans feel like they just entered the urban society probably a couple of months ago that they wouldn’t know how to stop a bus.

‘They might actually start jumping in front of the approaching bus to stop it, so I guess it’s better to instruct them.’

Another quite similar situation relating to signs was one which says,” Temporary Bus-stop here”. A particular bus-stop I can’t exactly remember where. It was going through some renovation so a temporary stop was fixed just beside it. The thing is that the sign was mounted on more than say 5 directions and places in that stop area. If you turned everywhere you see the message,” Temporary Bus-stop here”. Why couldn’t public read 1 or perhaps just 2 of those messages. Looked more like a political propaganda. I have seen those during my travel to India where almost every wall would be pasted with some movie poster or political poster.

Seems like the public probably have been losing their street intelligence. Could be plenty of reasons for that, stress, excitement, or just plain dumb and stupid. But that’s not what I’m here to discuss about. Talking about losing basic intelligence and manners. Yes! I must say I have definitely witnessed that. Imagine during peak hours or just during times when the bus would be crowded. People rush in just to look at and see if they could spot an empty seat to rest on. Instead of bothering about the people around you they care about themselves and just brush through. It’s annoying. I wouldn’t be surprised to witness that if I was in India but when you see such a scene in Singapore it really disappoints me.

A sense of patience and a set of proper mannerisms seem to be lacking in some of the public. That’s why we still have to run a courtesy campaign. I figure that such simple basic signs had to be put up definitely for a reason! Feel free to discuss your opinions or experiences.

No comments: