Sunday, October 28, 2007

Are eggs vegetarian?

Are eggs vegetarian? It has been a huge question mark to many friends when they go like,” hey egg can eat what..Vegetarian what?, when I say that I do not eat eggs. This article could be a good read for Indians who fast on Tuesdays or Fridays by being vegetarian but would also add scrambled eggs in their meals, and to Brahmins who are so ignorant about the ingredients list to check for eggs when buying a chocolate bar or buying pastries.

Hens are given five kinds of violent-generating foods: bone meal, blood-meal, excreta-food, meat-meal and fish-meal. Can we dare to call eggs vegetarian food even after learning this? The term vegetarian egg is a first-rate misnomer. The purpose of a fertile egg is to animate life, but an infertile egg has no such purpose and as such should be considered totally inedible.


The egg produced without any contact with the male bird (and thus producing an infertile egg) is also animate because it is born out of the hen's body with its blood and cells. Therefore, its consumption is 100% non-vegetarian. According to the famous American scientist Mr. Philip J. Scramble, no egg is without life in it. The scientists at Michigan University in America have proven it beyond doubt that no egg - fertile or infertile - is without life (inanimate). The hen gives infertile eggs during the absence of the male bird. But it has been observed that she gives an infertile egg before the day of contact with the male bird - and also the next day. In other words, she can give a fertile egg even without contact with a male bird. On the fifth day, again she gives a fertile egg. This means that the semen of the male bird remains lying in her body for a considerable duration. In some cases, this duration has been observed to be as long as even six months. A fertilized egg is a pre-birth stage of a chicken; unfertilized eggs are the result of the sexual cycle of a hen and very unnatural. Both are non-vegetarian food. Victoria Moran, the author of the book Compassion: The Ultimate Ethics says, to eat fertilized egg is in fact to consume a chicken before its birth (The Ethic on borderline). I was told that an unfertilized egg is the product of a bird's sexual cycle and can hardly be regarded as natural food for Man. Whether the egg is fertile or infertile, life is essentially there; and it has all the symptoms of life, such as respiration, brain, feeding ability, etc. There are 15,000 porous-breathing holes on the shell, the cover of the egg. The egg begins to rot at a temperature of less than 8^ Celsius, 00^ Fahrenheit. When it begins this process, its rotting manifests itself through evaporation of the water content. The egg becomes infected by germs and thus becomes diseased. The progress of the rotting soon reaches the shell of the egg.


I hope I have given a logical and perhaps also a scientific explanation. My purpose is not to say people are wrong or to brainwash their minds( Oh how indirect can I be?) but to speak my point here and to clear the doubts people have regarding this matter.

4 comments:

kirankhrodha said...

I'm leaving this comment cause Yuga was desperate for me to put it in.

Comment: Very Enlightening Blog Entry.

Hope you're happy Yuga :)

Preetha Balagi said...

Okay, I get you.

I dislike people who have their 'strict vegetarian' days. It annoys me because I think that, if you believe in the reasons for vegetarianism, then you ought to be vegetarian throughout, not just for one day out of seven in a week.

I personally am non-vegetarian, a habit I would like to change some time in the future, when I have more freedom and ability to get the food I want, without having to worry about family.

Point being, I want to ask you what you think of the differences (pure definition-wise) between vegans and vegetarians, and what your take is on dairy products.

Putting that aside, I wanted to say hey. :)

csJoshi said...

dear preetha,

I think your second para is an answer to your first. Because people would like to be vegetarian ethically but can't really leave the meat totally, they have strict vegetarian days instead of being totally vegetarian.

I find a few flaws in the argument but more about that and veganism later.

CSJ

Preetha Balagi said...

Hello.

All of the people I know who have strict vegetarian days cite religious reasons, not ethical ones. And I bet all of my salary next month deep inside they grumble about those days - meaning they would rather not be vegetarian at all. Thing is I'm not attacking anyone here. Just that I know of very few people who have turned completely vegetarian for ethical reasons, and many who crave meat for every single meal.

I feel my point remains, that if you are vegetarian, it should be for life this point forward at least - neither a "oh yeah I'm a vegetarian, but only on Fridays" type of vegetarian, nor a "I'm going to the temple today so I'm vegetarian for today" kind.

Okay but at the end of the day... didn't really intend to argue.